View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post
But the only scripture that seems to me to solidly say the gifts were only for the apostolic generation is 2 Timothy 4:20 where Paul says he left Trophimus sick, since surely he would have healed him if he could have. Otherwise the scriptures used on both sides of this issue don't seem to me to be conclusive.
Connie, this is for you, (since others don't like commentary) if you want the entire article let me know. I only copied the part that relates to your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way of Life Encyclopedia

HEALING

There are some who teach that healing is promised to the Christian in this life because of Calvary. This is based on a faulty interpretation of Isa 53:5, "with his stripes we are healed." The primary meaning of this passage is that we are healed from sin through Christ's death. This is what 1Pe 2:24 says. "Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed." The Apostle Peter applies Isa 53:5 to salvation from sin.

Other important teachings relative to physical healing:

1. THE PHYSICAL ASPECT OF SALVATION PERTAINS TO RESURRECTION; it is a future hope not a present reality. "And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body" (Ro 8:22-25). The Christian has eternal life; his sins are forgiven; his name is written in Heaven; he is a child of God. Even so, the Christian lives in a body that is under the curse of death (Ro 8:10). It is at death or at the Rapture that the Christian will gain liberty from this body of death and will have the perfect physical healing and wholeness that is so intensely desired.

2. THE HEALING MINISTRY OF CHRIST WAS UNIQUE-TO PROVE HE WAS THE MESSIAH.
"But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me" (Joh 5:36; see also Joh 10:25,37-38; 14:11; 15:24; 20:30-31). These verses leave no doubt as to the purpose of Christ's miracles. They were not done as examples of what every Christian can and should do, but to demonstrate that He was the promised Holy Son of God. This explains why no one before or since Christ has ever been able to perform the healings He performed. He healed every type of disease, cast out every type of devil, raised the dead, and He did these miracles repeatedly, at will. He healed perfectly. He never failed to heal those who were brought to Him. Not once did He fail; there was no kind of disease He could not heal. Who can say that today?

3. THE HEALING MINISTRY OF THE APOSTLES WAS UNIQUE-TO AUTHENTICATE THEIR WORK. "Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds" 2Co 12:12; See also Mr 3:14-15; Ac 2:43; 4:33; 5:12,15; 19:12).

Note that the miracles of the Apostles were special and were for the purpose of marking them as the Apostles of Christ. They had miracle-working power to authenticate their unique ministries. That is what Scripture says. All Christians could not do the sign miracles of the Apostles. The only exceptions were a few men upon whom the apostles had laid hands. There was no general miracle-working experience among the first churches. If there had been, Paul could not have pointed to his miracle-working ability as a special sign. His would have been just another miracle-working Christian ministry if all could have performed such things; but all could not. If all could have performed miracles as a matter of course, the Christians would not have called for Peter to come and raise Dorcas from the dead (Ac 9:36-42). Peter's miracle that day was the "sign of an apostle."

It has never been God's will for all Christians to be running around performing sign miracles and healing everyone. That has never been the case, and will never be the case in this age. Don't be deceived. Don't seek that which God has NOT promised and thereby leave yourself open to the deception of the devil.

Jesus warned that an evil generation seeks a sign (Mt 12:39). Let's not be identified with evil. Let us seek those humble things which God HAS promised and which He wants to do in and for and through us to the glory of Christ. Let us seek to live holy, gentle lives; to preach the Gospel and see souls saved and lives changed for the glory of God; to be looking and longing for Christ's return; to be obedient, fruitful Christians.

Last edited by Beth; 04-01-2008 at 12:59 PM.