Thread: Septuigent
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 08:45 PM
Vendetta Ride

A question, Brother Steven: who cares? What difference does it make? If someone is simply asking what the LXX is, because they simply don't know, the Gipp approach is best, because it's most accessible. But what conceivable value does the existence or non-existence of the LXX offer to a Bible believing Christian who's simply trying to understand God's word?

I understand, of course, that the "scholars" love to drone on and on about it; but that's their profession. That's how they put food on the table, and pay the mortgage.

But, unless one is a professional Greek scholar, why should he or she care one way or the other?

I can talk, and sometimes have talked, about Vaticanus and Sinaiaticus and P38 and all the rest, far into the night. But, so far, in 39 years of the Christian life, the only value such chattering has had is in the area of explaining the provenance of the KJB to unbelievers and Christians who don't use it.

It strikes me as vanity and vexation of spirit. For me, at least. Of course, I am a simple and uneducated soul, and not privy to the enthusiasms of the scholarly class.