View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 PM

In a back-slidden state my sins seem vague and undefined like a giant mass of something that can't taken apart and examined. It's a hopeless proposition to try to confess sins in that state. All you can pray is "Lord, forgive me. Lord, help me." A lengthy, carnal walk causes me to doubt my salvation. I know intellectually I'm saved but I sure don't feel saved. It really is a pit that I fall into.

The closer that I am walking with the Lord determines how defined my sins seem to me. Confessing them isn't like beating my chest or groveling on the ground but more like a quiet, yielding response to His still, small voice. Other times, He causes me to trip, or hit my hand on something, or stub my toe, and I just know He caused it to get my attention. At that moment I realize that my mind was nursing some unforgiveness, or judging somebody, etc. He does this when I'm not within earshot of the still small voice! I'm almost always immediately grateful to the Lord when He does this because I always think of this verse when it happens: Hebrews 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

If any of us had to depend upon confessing all of our sins to be saved we would be without hope.