View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I am not sure where decendents really comes in at all. In just plain reading of the scripture it seems the curse is on Canaan (one man, Ham's son) only. Where are we getting decendents from?
Well, I don't know if this is speaking of one man only (Canaan).

Gen 9:25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
Gen 9:26 And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
Gen 9:27 God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.

How can one man be a servant of servants (plural) of brethren (plural)? And it says God shall enlarge Japheth, so to me this seems to be saying Japheth will be fruitful and multiply. I really don't believe it means Japheth will swell up or become a larger person (being a little sarcastic there). It also says Japheth will dwell in the tents (plural) of Shem. So this seems to be speaking of multiple people, Japheth's descendents. And then we are told Canaan will be Japheth's servant.

So, I do believe this blessing/curse was to affect the descendants of each brother. For how long, I cannot say.

What is interesting about this blessing/curse is that Noah's sons Shem and Japheth are mentioned, but Ham is not. And the curse is on Canaan, a grandson of Noah.