View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 PM

Biblestudent asked:

Quote:

Winman, I hope you don't skip my question again. (You have done so in another thread. This keeps us beating around the bush.)

The CONTEXT of Matthew 24:14 is Matthew 24:13. "But he that shall endure unto the end the same shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom..." (Mt. 24:13,14a)

Is Matthew 24:13-14 the same gospel that Paul preached? Yes or no?
I will attempt to answer your question. Personally, I believe there is only one gospel, and this is what Jesus was preaching throughout the four gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John).

Here are some verses from those books that I think show this is so.

Matt 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Matt 18:11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

I do not know of anywhere in the gospels that it says Jesus came to restore the kingdom. The Pharisees asked Jesus directly about the restoration of the kingdom, look how Jesus answered.

Luke 17:20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: 21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. 22 And he said unto the disciples, The days will come, when ye shall desire to see one of the days of the Son of man, and ye shall not see it. 23 And they shall say to you, See here; or, see there: go not after them, nor follow them.
24 For as the lightning, that lighteneth out of the one part under heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall also the Son of man be in his day.
25 But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.

First, Jesus told the Jews the kingdom of God cometh not with observation. The Jews had expected the Messiah to come and set up an earthly kingdom. But Jesus told them the kingdom does not come with observation. Then he tells them the kingdom of God is "within you". I believe this is speaking of the indwelling Holy Spirit that was to come and abide with all believers. I believe this is speaking of the church age we live in now. Jesus also said they would desire to see one of the days of the Son of man and shall not see it. I believe this is speaking of when Jesus would be crucified and no longer seen on the earth, Jesus gave many similar statements. Then he describes the tribulation period after the church age. Verse 25 again tells that Jesus must first suffer many things and be rejected of this generation.

So, to me, Jesus did answer their question although I doubt they understood the answer. First Jesus must be crucified and rise from the dead. Then there would be the church age, with the Holy Spirit dwelling in believers. This is the kingdom which cannot be observed with the eyes. Then the tribulation, then Christ would return to establish his earthly kingdom. This lines up with all prophesy that we now know.

And once again, the apostles asked Jesus directly in Acts 1 when the kingdom would be restored. If you read carefully, you see the same answer.

Acts 1:6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. 8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Jesus answered the apostles and told them it was not for them to know the times (very important, take note) or the seasons (also plural), which the Father hath put in his own power. And then Jesus tells them they would be witnesses in Jerusalem, Judaea, Samaria, and the uttermost part of the earth.

Notice Jesus said "times". This is also what Peter said in Acts 3:21

Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Now, I do not know how anyone who believes in dispensations can miss the word "times" used in these verses. I believe in Acts 3:21 Peter is saying the heaven must receive Jesus until the "times" of restitution of all things. What this tells me is that there would be at least two times or ages that must take place first before Jesus would return. I believe this is refering to the church age, and then the tribulation.

So, Peter was not preaching the immediate return of Jesus if the Jews repented of killing Jesus, two times or ages must take place first. And this fits squarely with what we believe today.

And Peter tells in many places what they were actually preaching in early Acts. They were preaching the same gospel, of believeing on Jesus for the forgiveness of sins and everlasting life, not the restoration of the kingdom.

This is enough for now, but I have many other scriptures I could show you (and will). I have not done any twisting of scriptures whatsover. Everything fits perfectly with what we know today. The supposed "gospel kingdom" teaching however has many problems, many of which I have already pointed out.