View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Sis. Renee said: This one I cannot keep my mouth shut on. You should have quoted all of the verses below not just from verse 30.......It really bugs me when someone twist and wrest the scriptures........As you can see, here we are speaking of The Lord's Supper. When we eat unworthily The Lord judges us as only He knows our hearts. Ye also judge yourself for you know your own heart.............
Because I said:

Quote:
12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

Paul here is telling those Christians in the church to judge the believers in their assembly if they are involved in the sins that are listed here, sins that are commonly reported...Paul has already dealt with this before and rather than heeding his words here they are puffed up and proud that the man is still in their midst, perhaps hoping to "love" him out of his sin. Obviously that is not what Paul told them to do. He told them to put him away mourning not self-righteously, holier than thou...but with a spirit of compassion that he would repent.

I honestly think that if you were to consider the heart attitude, the sin being dealt with and the effect of that sin on the body of believers, the effect of that sin on the man himself that you would see why a judgment needs to be made...If you want to use the word discern then I've no problem with that but the Bible does use judge...But discern doesn't bring to mind any action behind it...making a judgment puts action on the discernment if you will.

Now ideally we should catch these sins in ourselves...Consider this:

I Cor 11:30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
33 Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.

To which I clearly explained myself:

Quote:
Amen sister! Only the Lord can judge our hearts...Before the Lord's Supper one is to examine his heart for any unconfessed sins. If you take the Lord's Supper unworthily and push aside that sin you will be calling God's judgment upon you and you make the church weak, sickly and sleep among you. The context here is the church. If there are people that are bringing God's judgment down on themselves by keeping their sins unconfessed then it WILL have an effect on the whole church.

I guess I didn't make myself clear...If we were to examine our hearts and confess our sins and repent, it would never get to the point of the gross sin mentioned I Cor. 5.
There would not be widely reported fornication or covetousness needing dealt with.
Also, another application to this Scripture is if we would all focus on our own hearts and not glaring around the church at all the people we think have problems then would there be no opportunity for "church discipline" so to speak.

Thank you sister! Great point!

I was just wondering Sis. Renee. Are you still accusing me of twisting and wresting the Bible in this instance????