View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Avery View Post

Brandon, I think you are mistaken on this.
It really depends on what Bro. Chette is publishing. He is not going to qualify for a copyright on a Bible printing if he has not introduced any substantially creative work in its production. That's what copyright covers -- creative works.

Bro. Chette may want to review Copyright Circular 14 (http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf ) which deals with copyright of derivative works (which any publication of the KJV would be). From the document:
"To be copyrightable, a derivative work must be different enough from the original to be regarded as a new work or must contain a substantial amount of new material. Making minor changes or additions of little substance to a preexisting work will not qualify the work as a new version for copyright purposes. The new material must be original and copyrightable in itself. Titles, short phrases, and format, for example, are not copyrightable."
This is probably getting way off-topic for this forum, though. I don't think any of us are copyright attorneys. But I have learned quite a bit about this very subject since my own line of work has me dealing a lot with new formats of old, public domain texts.

Also, I am only speaking about US copyright law, not law for the Philippines or Australia, which can of course differ except issues where the Berne convention is prevailing authority.