Thread: Rapture
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
I believe the Bible is clear on this issue - but it is one that needs to be studied out.

What is the purpose of the Tribulation? Who are the primary characters in it? Why is the church not mentioned during the Tribulation events in the book of Revelation, and what is Revelation 1:19 and 4:1 teaching/referring to?

Who is this a promise to, and what is it a promise about:

Revelation 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
Hello Jerry.
I doubt I'm ready to really get in and study this out, but I guess I can make a few comments.

Revelation 1:19 is the Lord telling John what to write, which he goes on to do.

Revelation 4:1 is John's being called up to heaven to witness future events from there. I know this verse is sometimes interpreted to refer to the whole church being raptured before those events, but as written it's not at all clear that is a justified reading of it.

Revelation 3:10 is a promise to those who have kept the word of his patience -- is that all true believers? I know this verse may be taken as evidence for the Lord's people to be removed from the time of Tribulation, but I'm not absolutely sure it's referring to the Rapture. It may be and perhaps this is where I need to do more studying of my own. But it occurs to me that there are other ways God can preserve His people besides removing them from the earth altogether.

The main thing that makes me unsure about the pre-trib Rapture is the idea that believers can be split into separate camps, some raptured, some yet to come to belief during the time of testing. If anyone is a "saint" -- and there are saints during the Tribulation period -- then we are all one body, both raptured and tested. "There is neither Jew nor Greek" also implies this. As Hebrews 11 says, Old Testament saints were also saved by faith, not by works. We're all one body of Christ. How can part of His body be glorified with Him and the rest still on the earth going through martyrdom? What is the rationale for dividing us into two or more bodies?

Also a problem for me about the Rapture is that in 1 Corinthians 15 where this event is described, it is described as far from secret
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
Not only is it audible, with a shout and a voice and a trumpet, this event has a finality to it, as the dead are also raised at the same time. Any who are to become saints after this event are treated as separate in many ways from the saints in heaven. I just can't reconcile all this with the parts of scripture about believers as one body.

Last edited by Connie; 04-14-2008 at 05:20 PM.