Thread: For my family
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post
I never liked any of the psychology categories even before I got saved and I agree with George that it's very important to keep away from them as Christians. But there is a state of mind that Christians are prone to that today we call "depression," that in the old days they called "melancholy." Perhaps the biblical "cast down" is the better choice of terminology but the condition is very real whatever we call it. The poet William Cowper continued with bouts of deep "melancholy" throughout his Christian life, that some believe may have originated with being homosexually abused as a boy at school. He wrote a veiled but emotionally charged description of an experience that strongly suggests that. He never married. The great John Newton (Amazing Grace) befriended him and shepherded him closely through many such bouts of emotional blackness, and encouraged his poetry, which glorifies the Lord in spite of it all. They put together a book of hymns, "The Olney Hymns," which included Newton's "Amazing Grace," and many by Cowper, the one that begins "There is a fountain filled with blood" and another that included the line "God moves in mysterious ways His wonders to perform."
I do not judge Christians that use psychological terms, but I do try to warn them about the "leavening" effect these Humanistic words and terms have on us.

I have a Scriptural reason why I try to avoid using psychological terms and why I try real hard not to think with psychological "reasoning". (Which is based on Humanism or the Humanistic Philosophy)

The word depression, as used by psychiatrists and psychologists, is a "catchall" word that covers many conditions - some of which may be scriptural, but it is not specific, and the way it is used by psychiatrists and psychologists it is often used as an excuse for not living for the Lord, or for bad or for even evil behavior.

I shall try to demonstrate by using some words from the Scriptures that could fall under the heading of "depression": (The numerical numbers = the number of verses found in the entire Bible - Swordsearcher Results)
Discontent (1 verse); distress (33 verses); distressed (11 verses); derision (15 verses); displeasure (5 verses); fearful (15 verses); grief (27 verses); heavy (39 verses - some); heaviness (14 verses); sad (10 verses); sadly (1 verse); sadness (1 verse); sorrow (65); sorrowful (18); travail (30 verses); troubled (68 verses); troubles (13 verses); weary (41 verses); weariness (3 verses); vex (15 verses); and vexed (22 verses).

There are more examples, but you get my point. The point is if there is something specific that is troubling a person or a husband and wife - if you "search the scriptures" you can identify the specific problem and try to deal with it (according to the scriptures, of course!).

On the other hand if we just label the problem as "depression" and go to a psychiatrist or psychologist for the solution - we are going to get a Humanistic point of view ("OPINION") that will not solve the problem (but it may make you "feel" good for awhile).

There is another "dimension" to this subject - that is spiritual in nature.
Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him. I do not have much "discernment" in this area, but I believe a study of king Saul in the Book of 1Samuel (the entire Book) will give us an idea of what spiritual "oppression" is and a persons behavior when under it.

I hope this short explanation will give you an idea why I am so adamant in my opposition to Psychiatry and Psychology.

Yours for the Lord Jesus Christ and for His Holy word,

George

Psalm 11:3 If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?

Last edited by George; 03-22-2008 at 03:09 PM.