View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 06:05 PM

Default Have some fun while studying

Ok brothers, the best is to study the matters. It's not really a fight of words. There still can be an Edfiying way from this sort of this thread. What will I offer is a little study on the post of Bro. Tony # 97. Hope this will help...

FIGURING THE MYSTERY OUT.

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Titus 3:5 is “the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Ghost”, this is exactly referred to in John 3:5 where Jesus said that every man needs to be born again. Water here refers to the word of God, as clearly told in Ephesians 5:26 “That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,” Washing in Titus 3:5 clearly does not refer to water baptism and it is to be viewed as the used of God’s word and the Holy Spirit in the work of regeneration.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

“One baptism” here may refer to as the Baptism of the Holy Spirit which eventually comes when one believed Christ as his personal Saviour. The Holy Spirit then indwells or resides in the believer’s heart.

1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
2 Timothy 1:14 That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.
James 4:5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?
Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

The words like “Lord, faith, God and Father” are in the sense unseen and this will indicate Spiritual baptism. While this may be true, nevertheless it may also suggest to the waters of baptism. How can this be? Paul is shooting two or more birds in just one bullet. To note, the following key words may helps us that this verse is also in reference to the subject “waters” of baptism:

1. The word “unity”. This would suggest more than one. Just as there is one body but has many parts and as the Holy Spirit is one but resides or indwells all the believers.
2. The study of the word “one”. This implies the following and may also suggest the truth of a water baptism:

One = one, as in “one language and one speech” Gen. 11:1
One = two, as in “they (Adam and Eve) shall be one flesh” Gen.3:24
One = three, as in “and these three are one” 1 John 5:7 see also 1Thes. 5:23

In every case Ephesians 4:5-6 has to do with one but not absolutely one. It is the “Unity of one”.

1. One Lord -can be referred in the New Testament as none other than our Lord Jesus Christ himself and could well be taken the same as our Lord God in Genesis 15:2 “And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?”.

2. One faith -The bible speaks of the Personal saving faith as in Acts 16:31 “Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved and thou house”. We also have the Practical daily faith as in Hebrews 11:6 “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him”. Yet faith could also mean the whole body of teaching and commonly referred to as the Doctrinal faith which we are exhorted to “earnestly contend for the faith which once delivered unto the saints” – Jude 1:3. Further, Jesus said:

Mark 4:40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?
Matthew 16:8 Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?
Matthew 8:10 When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

3. One baptism –What we have in the bible is the, Baptism of the Holy Ghost as in Mark 1:8 “but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost”. The water baptism (the Believers Baptism) as in Acts 8:36 “And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?”

4. One God – No problem here, that is one God in three persons see 1 John 5:7. Well the bible was well written as “One God and Father of all” but not “One God and one Father”.

Bro. Tony you posted:

“Is there anyone here can show Scripturally why John's baptism of repentance is NOT the water baptism of Leviticus 8

The challenge is tough but can be a good point of study. My answer to the question is:

There is indeed no scriptural support as to why John’s Baptism is not the baptism of Leviticus 8 but there are Scriptural supports that John’s Baptism is different from washing of Leviticus 8.

The Differences of John Baptism and Washing of Leviticus 8.

1. The Practice of Washing in Leviticus 8. The context refers to the pouring or by the least sprinkling of water. It is no more of the idea of immersing, dipping as practice by John the Baptist. To note, initial washing (bathing) of the entire body is a part of their consecration as in Exodus 29:4 and that the daily washing of both hands and feet prior to the service in the tabernacle see Exodus 30:19-20. In John 13, Jesus himself have washed the feet of the disciples. The context is that of pouring not immersion. So the washing never refers to dipping as in the case of Jesus Baptism by John the Baptist.

John 13:5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.
Matthew 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

2. The Place of the Consecration of the Priest. The certain place of Leviticus 8 is in the Tabernacle where the people of God (Israelites) or the “congregation/ assembly” is present. Whereas, John baptism was done publicky in the rivers of Jordan although there were only 4 persons involved. #1, John the Baptist, #2 our Lord Jesus, #3, The Holy Spirit in the form of the dove, #4, God the Father.

Matthew 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Matthew 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Heb. 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
3 And this will we do, if God permit

As I see it, verse 2 speaks in plurality “baptisms” which included the Spiritual Baptism and Believer’s Baptism of today. It doesn’t speak of “One baptism”. As a growing Christians we need to leave that principles behind and go unto maturity. We will only do this if God permits. So if one does not know Christ yet (baptized in the Holy Ghost) why not receive Him as his Saviour? If however, one needs to be baptized into the water why not? It is a command to be obeyed which was followed by Christ himself and his followers down through the ages.

God bless…