View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 10:50 AM
againstheresies

Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Avery View Post
Hi Folks,

I really enjoyed reading about what it means to study to shew thyself approved !
Thank you Lord Jesus for your pure and perfect word.

:-)
Amen. So lets look at a couple of comments, and try to continue the 'dialogue'. 'against' does not seem to be responsive to simple questions.

And if the King James Bible translators simply "followed Tyndale" rather than deciding on the proper translation by their own approved study .. then why didn't they "follow Tyndale" in 1 Thessalonians 4:11 ?

And do you make the same claim for the usage in Ecclesiastes ?

Ecclesiastes 12:12
And further, by these, my son, be admonished:
of making many books there is no end;
and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
or, reading

And on what basis do you know so well what the 50 skilled world-class translators intended ? Do you always make such awkward and ill-supported and illogical conjectures about the intentions of scholars whose knowledge of the languages far, far surpasses yours ? And if you speak so loosely, why should anything you say be taken seriously ?

Oh, and why not tell us more about the two alternate words that you claim could have been in the Greek if Paul had intended to indicate study -- ie. study including the learning and student and 'hungry for truth' sense. You did not respond to my question to you about one word's usage in the New Testament nor about the clear inapplicability of the other.

Wrong. We showed that the word has a far wider range of meaning. You ignored that.

Wrong. The King James Bible itself in Ecclesiastes disproves this assertion, showing study used like we use it today.

One-dimensional. The dictionary range of meanings includes to diligently endeavor or pursue.

to apply oneself to the acquisition of knowledge, as by reading, investigation, or practice.
to apply oneself; endeavor.

GIGO. (Garbage in, garbage out). All of your components were false or one-dimensional, yet there is such deep rebellion against God's pure word that you simply ignored every improper assertion and every error you made that was carefully pointed out to you.

Now, to try to help you out in your confusions, the most you could possible say is that 'diligent' is an alternate translation. Personally I see it as quite a bit inferior, subtracting from the sense of the word of God, however you could make a case for an alternate translation and have a sensible discussion. That however would not fulfill your self-proclaimed role as bible corrector.

So what you have done instead is look foolish and obstinate on each and every point.

against, I would like to know where you picked up this whole idea from ? A web-site ? Why not tell us.

Also I would like to know why you did not do even rudimentary NT study of the alternate words you said would have been written by Paul.

And you should answer the question from Diligent about your background.

Shalom,
Steven

Thanks for finally attempting to answer my thesis, but I still find your answers deficient.

Your response to my propositions summarized followed by my response:

1. Study is a possible meaning---Yes, but a more thorough word study would demonstrate that possibility is very unlikely here.

2. KJV in Ecclesiastes disproves---Ecclesiastes was written in Hebrew. The Hebrew word “Lahag” only occurs once in the Bible at this verse. The Septuagint translated “lahag” with “melete” not “spoudazo.” You should address the usage of the meaning of “study” in Middle English.

3. One-dimensional, dictionary includes diligently as a meaning for study---diligent is clearer, people today normally understand study as acquiring knowledge.

4. GIGO…rebellion against God’s Word—pejorative responses and imputation of motives do not enhance or advance the discussion.

As to the criticism of my expertise and the challenge of my scholarship, I will allow my argumentation to speak for itself. I am diligently committed to rightly dividing the Word of Truth and engage in sound exegesis in order to properly communicate God’s Word. I would argue that you are guided by a particular tradition. I am guided by the truth even if it causes me change my position. Honestly, I would change my position if you gave me a compelling argument. Thus far your arguments are unconvincing, but I am sure our evaluations will be polar opposites.