View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
...As to this salvation "the same" thing -- I'd like someone who believes that Old Testament saints had faith in Jesus Christ before Christ was born to explain to me how it is that Christ's own disciples -- who knew he was the Messiah -- could be "saved" when even after Christ's resurrection they did not believe in it:
Luke 24:6-11 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. And they remembered his words, And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest. It was Mary Magdalene, and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles. And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not.
In fact, it took sight, not faith, for them to believe that Christ rose from the dead.

Now, if someone reads this, and still says Old Testament saints were "looking ahead to the cross," they'll first have to explain to me why Peter wouldn't even look back at it!
Brother Brandon, I am trying to put it all together.

"To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins" (Acts 10:43). I realize that was a present time sermon addressed to the then listening crowd.

We see this message of a coming saviour woven through the pages of scriptures in the Old Testament. Why?

How were people saved in the Old Testament? If it was belief, then belief in what?

I see it was indeed different for them, of course, but was the message of a promised Messiah the substance of what people hoped for and the evidence of things not seen?

I look back, and although I did not physically see Jesus Christ, "I see Him" through the Word. I know Him. He's real to me and personal by faith. I've got the Holy Spirit living in me though, so my eyes are opened. What about those Old Testament men and women? What did they believe in? God in general or something specific regarding the prophecy of the Lord Jesus Christ?

Also Brother George you've pointed out the difference between "believe" and "faith". What is the difference and practical application? Anyone can answer of course.