View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaz212 View Post
I have always remember Christ as our cornerstone as my KJB says. But last weekend I thought I heard the word "capstone" from Acts 4:11 from someone who uses the NIV. I found the verse in NIV to confrim what I heard below.

Acts 4:11 (New International Version)
11He is " 'the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone.

So what is a capstone? Isn't a capstone on top of a pyramid or something? A capstone is certainly not a cornerstone. Am I wrong?

Any insights to this word change by the NIV and it's significance will be much appreciated.

Tim
Act 4:11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

Tim, the stone(Christ) that the Jews rejected has become the chief cornerstone:

Eph 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Below Peter quotes Isaiah 28:16, which is the OT root for this doctrine:

1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

This passage in Isaiah confirms Christ as both foundation and chief cornerstone:

Isa 28:16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

Paul dogmatically and finally confirms this with no deviation:

1Co 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

The NIV translators do their best to destroy the cross-reference system of Bible study in Isaiah 28:9-13 with this verse and many others. Note how they have broken the link between Acts 4:11 and Eph. 2:20:

Act 4:11 He is " 'the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone.(NIV)

Eph 2:20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.(NIV)

In the NIV in Isaiah we see the NIV being "all bibles to all heresies" as it refuses to translate "Lord" and substitutes the Calvinist "sovereign":

Isa 28:16 So this is what the Sovereign LORD says: "See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who trusts will never be dismayed.(NIV)

When you hear someone talk about the "Sovereign Grace of God", that is a Calvinist speaking and always translate "sovereign grace" for what they really mean. "absolute predestination". I attended a Calvinist college unbeknownst to me at the time, I know of what I speak, brother.

The "capstone" reading is, according to the Wiccas and occultists I know on the web and in person, a verse the NIV translators threw out to them as the "sovereign" reading to Calvinsts, to give them a toe-hold into the Bible for their false teaching of Christ being one of Twelve "Ascended Masters" AKA "Avatars". Buddhah, Mohammed, Vishnu, etc, their "Christ" is the top of the heap towards Godhood that these occultists seek, not very different from the theology of Mormonism and Herbert W. Armstrong and Garner Ted. Basic Hinduism in ascending to godhood through multiple lives and works.

We know one Man, the Man Christ Jesus, is the only One to ascend to heaven by His own power:

Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

Eph 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

Eph 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Joh 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Gail Ripplinger knew what she was talking about in NEW AGE BIBLE VERSIONS, be sure of that.

Grace and peace

Tony