View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybones2112 View Post
Water baptism as practiced by the average Baptist church is not a sin.
Well I guess this means we can't have you banned.
Seriously, I'm glad you feel that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybones2112 View Post
Water baptism as practiced today is a misapplication of a Jewish ordinance, part of the Law of Moses. It is a dead work and is the first step in consecrating a Levite:
I see where you are coming from now...
so you think those who participate in believer's baptism are practicing the law of Moses. In other words every Baptist pastor out there doesn't know what he's talking about with regard to this important NT ordinance.

Well Tony, I love you in Christ brother, and I like your style too, but that is not good doctrine—in fact, it's a slap in the face to every believer and every pastor whoever followed the Lord's plan on the issue (unintentional I'm sure but it is what it is.) I don't intend to berate you on this because I love you too much, as long as you keep that leaven bottled up on this forum I guess it's your view and you are welcome to it my friend. I do appreciate the fact you were "called out" on this issue and that you were questioned about it and answered clearly like a man and not some lurker who can't ever seem to face the music.

You are a gifted Bible student, but the Grace Brethren are "all wet" on this issue (pardon the pun) and I think there is one important thing they are missing in their view; that is the DEATH, BURIAL AND RESURRECTION of Jesus Christ. This separates the believer's baptism from any and all OT "washings," and it always will.

Certainly Paul knew this...

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. Roman 6:4

Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. Col 2:12

The trembling, suicidal Phillipian jailer didn't ask what he could do to observe the law of Moses, or how to be consecrated as a Levite—that's not anywhere in Acts 16. He asked, "Sirs, WHAT MUST I DO TO BE SAVED?" The context here is the Gospel and salvation.

Baptism was not part of the law to Paul and Silas, who preached the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the Phillipian jailer and also I'm sure explained the importance of believer's baptism as a first step of obedience (in this case even in middle of the night), saying:

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. And he took them the SAME HOUR OF THE NIGHT, and washed their stripes; AND WAS BAPTIZED, HE AND ALL HIS, STRAIGHTWAY. Acts 16:31-33

Believer's Baptism is not a part of the law of Moses, and it's not a "sacrament" that imparts saving grace, but an ORDINANCE of the blood bought church of Jesus Christ. We are not saved by baptism, but by faith in Jesus Christ and His blood..."cleanseth us from all sin" (1 John 1:7).

Baptism is the outward symbol of what has already transpired in the heart of the one who has trusted the Lord Jesus Christ for full salvation. That Phillipian jailer KNEW IT, and he was OBEDIENT TO IT.

To anyone reading this;
Have you taken this first step in your walk with the Lord? Have you been obedient to the word of God concerning this matter of believer's baptism? In Acts 2:41 we read, "Then they that GLADLY received his word were baptized..."

Okay I'm putting my soapbox back under the couch.
Tony I hope your finger feels better today.
We have other battles to fight together as brothers in Christ.
God bless you as you seek His truth on this issue.

Last edited by Bro. Parrish; 05-02-2009 at 09:24 AM.