View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
The only John Philip I can think of is John Philip Sousa, an American composer who wrote the "Star Spangled Banner" - and other famous marching music. Hmmmm, I don't think he wrote any Bible commentaries. LOL

Funniness aside, I don't depend on commentaries, because I believe we can be so swayed into various differing doctrinal camps that depart from biblical truth. I try to remain focused on the Word of God (KJV Bible) and let the Holy Spirit put the wisdom and understanding in me, rather than human commentators. That's just my humble opinion.

Jassy
That sounds like a double standard to me, Jassy. Why ask for help w/ those atheists? Are you not gaining commentary from us? Is your pastor not expounding and expositing Scripture (hopefully)? That could be considered Bible commentary. Why not allow others who have spent much time in study to teach you? Of course not as a basis for every belief you have or make.

Now I will grant you that people can lean way too much on commentaries w/out studying and original thinking. But I see nothing wrong w/ consulting after you have wrestled with a text to see if you are out in left field or thinking similarly with others. Also, there are times where you are just not gonna find the answer yourself. This is true many times w/ historical cultural matters. So a commentary can add much to the historical context of a passage. So I wouldn't write commentaries off right off.

Back to the OP... are you looking to know the theological position in the commentary or perhaps the level and depth of exegesis?