View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshdsa View Post
The King James when it was issued was not popular and was criticized for over fifty years before it got accepted. Nobody was willing to give up their Geneva Bible at first. Then the KJV took Geneva's place and now people are saying the same thing about the KJV and criticizing every other version under the sun.
As Matthew pointed out, your facts are totally incorrect. Try reading King James, His Bible, and Its Translators for some actual historical data. (Not that I think it would help -- it has been said this is essentially a heart issue. If you're dead-set against the KJV, all the facts in the world won't change that.)

Also, the Geneva Bible did not dominate the scene for nearly 400 years, so your analogy is strained at best.

Quote:
The only Bibles based on the Received Erasmus Text are the King James Version, the New King James Version, and Jay Green's Literal Translation Version. No other version is based on the Majority Text.
I am not trying to be insulting, but you sound like someone who read one essay and thinks he understands everything. Your terminology is so confused that it is difficult to respond. The KJV is not translated from the Majority text (and neither are the others you listed). The Majority Text is a modern invention and is a text nobody used until the 20th century. It is not synonymous with the Received Text.

Quote:
Only by the Holy Spirit can a person repent, convert to Jesus and be saved, and God overcomes a lot of stuff like Bible versions to get the job done.
While this statement is literally true, the "spirit" (heh heh) in which you offer it is false. One can not use the Holy Spirit as an excuse to treat the Bible with such a cavalier attitude, as we are commanded to seek out the Book of the Lord and read and study and rightly divide it. The Bible is profitable for doctrine and reproof -- those are attributes of Scripture, not the Holy Spirit.

Caring about the Bible -- and caring for the very words in it -- evinces love for Jesus Christ. You can't brush it aside with "well the Holy Spirit will take care of everything."
John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.