View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 PM
BrianT

Hi Vendetta Ride,

Quote:
The Valera edition in Spanish comes to mind, as does Luther's German translation. Neither achieves the perfection of the Authorized Version, but they are accurate and dependable, and are understood by a much larger percentage of the world's population than Greek or Hebrew.
Then we are not so far apart, for I also do not require total absence of textual imperfections to call a Bible "the word of God". I just see no authoritative reason, as already explained to attribute a quality of "textually inerrant" to the KJV. So perhaps we are running out of things to talk about.

Quote:
I mean no offense; but it should be obvious that if something so base as silver needs seven refinings, so does something as sublime as the word of God.
Huh? If something base needs refining, so does something pure? No comprendo. The words were already, and always, pure. No refinement needed.

Quote:
the point of the discussion is that the final purification came with the Authorized Version
Actually, the point of the discussion is the question of authority behind such a claim. If you personally don't even see it as a prophecy, and admit it's just your personal belief and not authoritative or binding on anyone else, I have absolutely no quarrel with you - I just think you're wrong.

Quote:
Do you, Brother T, actually believe that the NASV or the NIV are improvements over the AV? I certainly won't throw rocks at you if you say "yes;" you'll only be speaking for the majority of American Christians. But is that really your position?
In some aspects, yes, in some aspects no. That is why I don't limit myself to a single translation, but use a variety of translations for the finding out of the sense of the Scriptures.

Quote:
Let me say, in as friendly a manner as possible, that I do not give a hoot in Hell (Is. 34:11) when a truth is discovered, or by whom it is discovered, as long as it is true. As for the wording of prophecies, it varies widely and, one might say, wildly. Some of the most personally meaningful prophecy in the entire Bible, to me, is found in the Song of Solomon: but it isn't prefaced by "thus saith the Lord."
My point is simply that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. There cannot be new doctrines for the church that could not be doctrines for the entire church, unless they are given with true authority.

Quote:
What on earth are you talking about? A prophecy says, "Jerusalem will fall." It falls in 70 AD. If it falls again later, after having been rebuilt, is that second fall less "real" than the first? The facts of history are not subjectively discerned; they happen, or they don't.
I am talking about authority. If scripture says Jerusalem will fall, the authority is scripture. When it happens, because scripture was clear about it, we can be sure of the fulfillment, but we ourselves do not have the authority to say what the fulfillment is even if we are correct about the fulfillment. I can stand on the side of the highway and identify speeders, but I have no authority to write and hand out legally binding speeding tickets. When things are less clear, such as when there's no reason to believe something has a secondary prophecy meaning in the first place (let alone what the fulfillment would look like even if it was a prophecy), the lack of authority is even more evident. It's theoretically possible that someone making the claim is actually correct (just as I might correctly identify a speeder even when I have no idea what the speed limit is or what speed the person is doing), but it's all just non-binding guesswork and fallible opinion by someone with no authority. And if I were to stand out on the highway and try to pass out speeding tickets, it would not be wrong (in fact it would be right) for someone to challenge my authority.

Quote:
I believe that an illiterate aborigine can receive revelation about the Trinity and the Second Advent from the revelation of nature
And what's the success rate on that? How many illiterate, aboriginal, never-heard-the-gospel Trinitarians are there?

Quote:
if a propositional revelation is needed, why shouldn't I, using your reasoning, choose the Koran over the Bible?
When I want to know how to program a computer, I read a computer manual, not a cookbook. When I want to know what the King's message is, I read a translation of the King's speech, not a translation of the memoirs and philosophies of a violent pedophile. But just because I read the King's speech does not mean I'm going to understand it all correctly, even with the Holy Spirit's help - it still goes through the filters of our bias and limited, fallible comprehension. But I stand a much better shot of getting the King's intended message by reading the King's speech and not something else.