Thread: Gap Theory
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 02:32 PM

Here are my thoughts, Brother Vince.

Quote:
When you find the same exact word or phrase used the same way in two different places about two different things, it's imperative that the reader note that and allow God to show the similarities.
I agree with you here. I think context of the passage is always imperative though, and therefore, must be considered to arrive at the truth.

Quote:
Genesis 1:2 and Jeremiah 4:23 parallel almost perfectly: the subject in both sentences is the earth, and in both places it is referred to as "without form, and void;" even to the point of the exact same usage and punctuation!! Were that to appear anywhere else in the Bible, anyone would simply accept it as Biblical truth and a God-given cross-reference. However, when it comes to a "questionable" teaching or doctrine, the "brethren" get skittish and look for a way out.
Almost perfectly? I accept the Biblical truth in the context it is presented.
Jeremiah 4:19-28 My bowels, my bowels! I am pained at my very heart; my heart maketh a noise in me; I cannot hold my peace, because thou hast heard, O my soul, the sound of the trumpet, the alarm of war. Destruction upon destruction is cried; for the whole land is spoiled: suddenly are my tents spoiled, and my curtains in a moment. How long shall I see the standard, and hear the sound of the trumpet? For my people is foolish, they have not known me; they are sottish children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge. I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light. I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly. I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled. I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the LORD, and by his fierce anger. For thus hath the LORD said, The whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end. For this shall the earth mourn, and the heavens above be black: because I have spoken it, I have purposed it, and will not repent, neither will I turn back from it.
My understanding of Jeremiah 4:19-28, is that in no way does it have anything to do with the “beginning” when God created the “heaven and the earth.” Yes, by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, Jeremiah described what the Lord revealed by using some exact words found in Genesis regarding the creation, however, in my understand of the word this is clearly not a written record or address of the beginning when God created.

Jeremiah, under inspiration, wrote:
  • I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void;
  • and the heavens, and they had no light.
  • I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly.
  • I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled.
  • I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the LORD, and by his fierce anger.
  • For thus hath the LORD said, The whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end.
  • For this shall the earth mourn, and the heavens above be black: because I have spoken it, I have purposed it, and will not repent, neither will I turn back from it.

Quote:
Without a "Gap," you have a God who created a "without form, and void" mud ball, and one "heaven," and then decided "Whoops, I needed three of those!" and created two more. I have a God that created a perfect paradise for the Sons of God (Job 38:4-7)...
Personally, I do not see how you get the above thoughts and understanding from:
Job 38:4-7 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
I do not believe the scripture teaches God created, as you say, “a mud ball” and had a “whoops” experience. I simply believe that “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters” (Genesis 1:1-2).
I agree with the definition of form: wht tohuw to'-hoo from an unused root meaning to lie waste; a desolation (of surface), i.e. desert; figuratively, a worthless thing; adverbially, in vain:--confusion, empty place, without form, nothing, (thing of) nought, vain, vanity, waste, wilderness.
God fashioned the heaven, heavens, and the earth in the exact order He chose. He took an earth, that HE created, that was “without form” and gave it form. He made no blunder or mistake or "whoops." And His time schedule was perfect.
I also agree with the definition for the word void: whb bohuw bo'-hoo from an unused root (meaning to be empty); a vacuity, i.e. (superficially) an undistinguishable ruin:--emptiness, void.
He made something out of that which was “without form, and void.” My understanding is that, “…God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day” (Genesis 1:31).

Quote:
“…subsequently destroyed in a cataclysmic, supernatural rebellion, which took His 4-Dimensional, Divine Creation (Gen. 1:1, Eph. 3:18) and degraded it into our current 3-Dimensional universe…
Where does this come from? Personally, I do not see in Holy Scripture any destruction or supernatural rebellion occurring in Genesis 1:1. In my understanding of the scripture, God did not “[see] every thing that he had made [and say] it was very good” which included a cataclysmic, supernatural rebellion.

Quote:
God's throne (Heaven) was still 4D (Eph. 3:18) but the remainder was divided into two parts (2 - number of division) which we know as "space" and the atmosphere…
Ephesians 3:14-19 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
I simply do not see Ephesians 3, teaching 4 Dimensions. I understand it to be Paul’s prayer and passion to see the believers at Ephesus know the “…breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.” I believe the context is supported by the entire letter to the Church at Ephesus and that this prayer corresponds with his first prayer in Ephesians 1:15-23.
Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints, Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers; That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.
Quote:
He then recreated the demolished earth (Gen. 1:2) into a beautiful planet where He placed the king to rule His creation: Adam.
Genesis 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
Sorry, I simply cannot reconcile this teaching with, “He then recreated the demolished earth (Gen. 1:2) into a beautiful planet where He placed the king to rule His creation: Adam.”