View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 01:08 AM

Default My so called Southern Baptist Church...

Hello all. I need some advice about confronting my pastor regarding his choice of bibles again. If you recall, my first post here was about our church switching our pew bibles to the ESV. Well I was informed Saturday at our prayer breakfast, that he is indeed going with the plans to do so. That alone was enough for me to upchuck my eggs. Well, before it got better it got worse. After breakfast we hold an informal bible study at the table for about 35-40 min. My pastor said he had another bible he highly recommend for devotions and when you don't want to "rack your brains with study". It was the message bible by eugene patterson (lower case intended)Our verse study was Mat. 9:12-13. I did something I had never done before. I left church as soon as it was read. I didn't excuse myself, I just picked up my bible and walked out. Here is the butchering of Mat. 9:12-13 Jesus, overhearing, shot back, "Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? Go figure out what this Scripture means: 'I'm after mercy, not religion.' I'm here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders." I am not sure if I can continue on at this church. He used to be a very powerful, AV preacher. He also of late has been letting women lead Thursday night bible studies. Him being the pastor, I just don't know how to go about it this time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and needed. Thank you, Keith.