View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 02:45 PM

Default Re: "Webster's Dictionary 1828"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
I've got to disagree with something you said. You stated:
"It is the pastor's function to teach the Christian what to believe and how to live."
First of all, "apt to teach" WHAT? It is the pastor's function to teach the TRUTH and that means showing what the BIBLE says. Never should a pastor interpret Scripture privately and teach what he thinks a Christian ought to know, or teach the way that he thinks a Christian ought to live.

Let the Bible tell the Christian directly.

Therefore, a pastor should be encouraging the Believer to pray and to go to the Word of God for wisdom and understanding. A pastor should trust the Holy Spirit to guide Christians in their daily Christian walk.

I'm adding something that follows the thread. Of course, the Bible should be the source of all truth. Yet I see nothing wrong with going to Webster's 1828 Dictionary to clarify unfamiliar terminology. We don't go to Webster for doctrine or for other biblical purposes. We go directly to the Bible for that. However, using Webster's 1828 Dictionary is certainly not anti-Christian!

Jassy

Aloha sister Jassy,

Right on sister!

It is an elder's/pastor's job to "give themselves to the ministry of the word" and to "preach the word" - NOT "to teach the Christian what to believe and how to live."! Somebody is trying to REPLACE the Holy Spirit! "Discernment", "Understanding" and "Wisdom" come from the Holy Spirit of God - NOT some man! [1Corinthians 2: 1-16]
Quote:
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Acts 6:4
But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.

Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
You're on the right track sister - keep up the good work!