View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Swart View Post
When John the baptist was baptizing in Jordan, it is quite easy to assume that he was immersing people. The Lord Jesus was baptized in this manner. In Acts ch.8 Philip and the Ethiopian went down into the water. For what purpose? To immerse?
Whether we sprinkle or immerse isn't really the issue. The issue is the baptism that matters at the moment of conversion, the baptism by the Spirit into the body of Christ.
Hi, Scott!

I seem to view things a little differently with our strong Bible Believing brethren here. The "Heresy and Heresies" thread is quite "hot", and I hope mine won't be one.

Concerning Acts 8, I don't think that since Philip and the Ethiopian went down "into the water", it would mean that Philip immersed the Ethiopian, for the text says both went down into the water.

Acts 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

The question would be: Did "both" of them immerse together?

Looking at the text again, it says that after "both" went "down" "into" the water, Philip baptized him. So the "down...into" does not necessarily refer to the baptism but to both of them going down to the water.