Thread: Repentance
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 02:53 PM

I posted this on another forum recently

I think I have found the best definition of what Biblical Repentance is, in the Gospel of Luke.

Disregarding the fact that the Four Gospels are primarily Kingdom Gospel, these two examples Jesus gives tell the people what it is that they must repent of, or perish

Luk 13:1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
Luk 13:2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
Luk 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Luk 13:4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
Luk 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Jesus doesn't tell them to repent of their sins.

These people were telling Jesus about these GREAT SINNERS in Galilee, comparing themselves to them, to which Jesus responds "you think they are such great sinners because they suffered for some sin? You are a sinner too. Repent (admit it), or perish"

He then follows it up with another example of people dying as punishment because of their sins and says "Do you think these are great sinners because they were punished? Repent, or perish".

Jesus tells them "Nay". In other words, these men were not worse sinners than anyone else. Everyone is a sinner.

Jesus is telling the people speaking to Him to repent of their SELF RIGHTEOUSNESS. They were comparing themselves to others in order to establish their own righteousness. Jesus is saying that they aren't any better. They are sinners too. Repent of the self righteousness and admit you are a sinner, or perish with them.

Repentance, according to these verses, is repentance from 1. self righteousness, 2. trusting our own way, 3. establishing our own righteousness.

In Christ
Luke