View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post
A major charismatic warning is against blaspheming the Holy Ghost by attributing something from God to the devil instead. It's a very distressing position to be in. There doesn't seem to be a clear Biblical standard for testing the spirits that can answer every such question that comes up.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I was involved in a Pentecostal church many years ago and you raise some very good points I wish I could answer, and I hope some others can shed more light on them.

One thing I'm positive of is that neither you nor I have blasphemed the Holy Ghost. I'm not even sure that's possible today as I understand it it involved telling Jesus to His face when He was in the flesh that what He did was evil. I can't even imagine either of us as believers doing that. If one of us had commited that sin I don't think we would even be interested in the things of the Lord at all, or seeking fellowship with other believers at all.

You're right, no "words of wisdom" or anything else can contradict the Bible. That's why study is so important. And, of course, prayer to have God guide us to make the right decisions and applications. In fact, with the completed Scriptures, why do we need a "word of knowledge?"

The Holy Spirit is in no way limited today, but I don't believe He works through the sign gifts today, but by prayer as you already mentioned. I think we're looking for miracles while ignoring the miracles that are being performed around us.

Just tonight we were studying John 6 where Jesus fed the 5,000. Then the people came up to Him and asked Him for a sign (verse 30). When they didn't receive whatever miracle they were looking for many turned from Him (verse 66).