View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 07:55 PM

NO verse 31 is not out of context Judge ourselves for what are you going to judge that you didn't eat out of place?

There is a contextual change at verse 23 to speak of the Lords supper and how it is to be properly done. Look closely and prayerfully and you will see more than the sin of gluttony going on in the previous verses. you limited your study to your own Private Interpretation of gluttony and it is more than that.

Before Verse 23 there is the issue of proper Prayer and in vs 13 you have the term Judge IN yourselves.

Then you have Paul commenting on "Coming together not for better but for worse." This covers a lots of issues, you will notice Paul's comment "For FIRST of all" Which tells you there are divisions, (secondly)then Heresy, (thirdly) and then he covers the issue of not waiting for everyone to assemble before partaking(thinking higher of ones self). and One is going without food and is hungry which means the poor were being neglected, (fourthly) and then he mentions drunkenness.

so you see your interpretation that these verses are dealing with the problem of Gluttony is a private interpretation. For Paul is covering a lot more than gluttony here. he is talking about the over all sin that was prevalent in the lives of the Corinthians.

Seems to me you would never apply that verse to yourself or the church.

I do try at the end of each day to examine my day by the Holy Sprint and see if I needed to confess anything. It is not needed but helpful for anyone who desires continual spiritual growth in their life. And before we take communion in our church I teach Cor 11:23-31.

Last edited by chette777; 05-20-2009 at 08:06 PM.