View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
Thanks Kiwi for that verse. But it still does not teach that Paul called the church a Bride or taught it was. The context of Romans seven in those first 4 verses is about the Law and being yolked to it or being united to Christ where there is liberty from the Law.and like the law of marriage when the partner dies you are free from the law that bound the marriage. it that verse Paul is using married as figure of speech not teach any truth that the Body is married to Christ or that it is called a Bride. It actually teaches you are free from the law when you became a Christian.
I knew you would make it figurative! See, that's how people in 'your camp' deal with the two greatest verses from the Pauline epistles which 'our camp' uses to support the doctrine of the Church being the Bride of Christ, YOU MAKE THEM FIGURATIVE. That's the oldest trick in the book for explaining away a problem text, do you not see what you are doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777
You will notice he make the same equally erroneous interpretation of Rev 19:9 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. Easton dictionary assumes the wife is the church. But the context of 19 and the previous verse and chapters tells us it is Israel who has made herself ready though the various chastisements of the Lord during the great Tribulation. So again the wife here is Israel.
You made the statement above in your original post which I also think is wrong, the context of Revelation 19 is not Israel but "Revelation 19:1 And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God:" The context shifts from being on earth in Rev 18 to being in heaven in Rev 19, and the "much people in heaven" are NOT identified as Israel, but Rev 19:5 calls them "all ye his servants, and ye that fear him, both small and great." Note that the Church will be in heaven at this time, so could easily fit in this passage.