View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
"To really know Christ you have to know Satan. To have knowledge you have to eat from the tree of life in order to understand sin and grow as a person. Sometimes in my life in order for me to grow as a person and a Christian I need to to go between two extremes to really understand God. After all when Christ was baptized he first sunk below the earth into hell and then arose out of the earth. Christ himself had to experience hell before he could experience God.
The above ----Thats a cop out for living in a sinful worldly state

Quote:
After all when Christ was baptized he first sunk below the earth into hell
Scipture? NO, personal opinion and one that is dead wrong at that.

Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
Matthew 4:2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
Matthew 4:3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of
God.
Matthew 4:5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
Matthew 4:6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Matthew 4:7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
Matthew 4:9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
Matthew 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou
serve.
Matthew 4:11 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

It is clear from the scripture that it was NOT hell he had descended into. Your friend would do well to heed Matthew 4:7....Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
Which is what he is doing by descending into sin to fruitlessly try and understand God
To really understand God, we, by his Spirit need to prayerfully study his written word
Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.
As for Christ descending into Hell to be tormented, that is nonsense, I agree with John here , he descended to let the OT saints out of paradise and led them to the Third heaven (New paradise)

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Revelation 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Christ never went to Hell to be tormented, he went to lead his OT saints home for he was never to see corruption.

Psalms 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Your friend seems to be justifying living in unrepentant sin, or dabbling in the occult as a way of drawing close to God, he couldn't be more wrong (scripturally) maybe he needs to forget Hollywood movies and get himself right with God.

Last edited by peopleoftheway; 05-21-2009 at 05:35 AM.