View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 02:48 AM

Default Another Kudo For KJV

So, if the NIV (along with a plethora of other "modern" translations, paraphrases, and fairy tales) is all that and a bag of chips, how can it make the wind change direction? Case in point...

Act 27:14 But not long after there arose against it a tempestuous wind, called Euroclydon.

The word Euroclydon from Strongs...

G2148
Εὐροκλύδων
Eurokludōn
yoo-rok-loo'-dohn
From Εὖρος Euros (the east wind) and G2830; a storm from the east (or south east), that is, (in modern phrase) a Levanter: - Euroklydon.

The word Euroclydon from the dictionary...

Euroclydon
Eu*roc"ly*don\, n. [NL., fr. Gr. ?; ? the southeast wind + ? wave, billow; according to another reading, ?, i. e. a north-east wind, as in the Latin Vulgate Euro-aquilo.] A tempestuous northeast wind which blows in the Mediterranean. See Levanter.

A tempestuous wind called Euroclydon. --Acts xxvii. 14.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

This of course begs the question, if the KJV is just a rewrite of the latin vulgate (which has been thrown at me), why isn't it called a "nor'easter" in the KJV, too?

le⋅vant⋅er
   /lɪˈvæntər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [li-van-ter] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
a strong easterly wind in the Mediterranean.
Origin:
1620–30
; Levant + -er 1

The "modern" translations call this wind a "nor'easter" like Paul and the boys just crawled out of the blueberry bushes up in Maine.

nor'east⋅er
   /ˌnɔrˈistər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [nawr-ee-ster] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
northeaster.
Origin:
1830–40

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

noun
a storm blowing from the northeast [syn: northeaster]

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

So, has anyone else ever had this one dropped in their proverbial lap? I heard someone speak Sunday morning, an avowed KJV person, and during his sermon used the term "nor'easter" while admitting that it did come from an NIV. This truly surprised me as he has always been structurally thorough. If the "modern" translations are better, they can even get the wind to change directions. Thought only Jesus could do that...