View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Mikie View Post
Let's face it, you not only do not want to speak in tongues, you don't want me to, either.
Why? It says in 1 Corinthians 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues..

Does the fact I believe it is for today and understand the Scriptures the way I do threaten you in some way? I got saved when I repented of my sins and asked Jesus to be Lord of my life in 1973. In 1975, believing as you do, God baptized me in the Holy Ghost (naturally, I searched the Scriptures when this happened so as not to be in error, and found how I was taught was not accurate).
1. No one is forbidding you to speak in tongues. The problem is you are not following the purpose and guidelines for speaking in tongues, and there is no solid proof either that you have the gift of tongues as the Bible describes it. I repeat some of them:
a. Tongues is to convince an unbelieving Jew.
b. Tongues are an exclusive sign for the Jew. The nation started with signs (Exodus 3) and have always asked for signs since then.
c. No woman is to speak in tongues.
d. Nobody should speak in tongues without an interpreter.
e. Tongues and healing go together, all along with snake handling, poison drinking, and devil casting (Mark 16). If you don't have one, you don't have the other.
f. Tongues shall cease and it have ceased since the gift of healing was withdrawn. (If tongues have not ceased, when will it cease?)
g. Gentiles need no sign.
h. The Church needs no sign. We walk by faith, not by sight. Faith comes from hearing the Word of God. "In part" gifts are done away since "that which is perfect" Word of God has come.

2. There is no baptism "in" the Holy Ghost in the Bible.
a. Baptism "with" the Holy Ghost belongs to the gospel of the kingdom - for Israel.
b. Baptism "by" one Spirit "into" the body of Christ belongs to the gospel of the grace of God - for the church.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.