View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Aloha all... I believe that the word “church” in Matthew 16:18 is in reference to the “New Testament church” that the Lord Jesus Christ was going to build after His death burial, and resurrection - but which was not yet in existence. At this point in time in the Lord’s earthly ministry, Christ’s disciples were referred to as the “children of the bride chamber” – NOT THE BRIDE! They could not have been both! (Matthew 9:15; Mark 2:19; Luke 5:34.)
Who needs a seminary Professor? we've got George! Thanks, brother.

I really like that verse in Matthew 16:18. This is one of those occasions I like using the Greek.

"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter (Petros - a small stone or rock which you can throw), and upon this rock (Petra - a large mass of immovable rock) I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" (Matthew 16:18).

Praise God that our Lord Jesus is that Rock! And praise God that every true born again believer is in Christ and Christ is in them.

"And he is the head of the body, the church: who [Jesus Christ] is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence" (Colossians 1:18).

Quote:
There are men on this Forum who have been saved for 10, 20, or 30 years from whom I have received instruction on some Bible issues that I hadn’t “settled” in my heart or mind before. There are men on this Forum who have edified me in some manner (either by word or by their conduct). This Forum is not a church, but I believe that God has used it for the edification of the brethren and I, for one, am thankful for the opportunity to fellowship with “likeminded” brethren from around the world {Even with those brethren that I might disagree with on some issues that I don't consider "major" issues. }
I am also grateful to the Lord Jesus Christ, that true believers throughout the World are one body, in Christ, and can exhort and encourage one another in the word. I too have been blessed by the teaching of some brothers in Christ on this Forum. Same Father, same Lord, same Spirit.

I believe in the biblical establishment and importance of a visible local church body and its scriptural responsibilities, but I'm sure glad the "church" is not limited to our 250 "local" members who assemble together each Sunday!