View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 06:35 PM

The doctrine of election is pretty straight forward and backed by scripture, so to me that does not make it a doctrine, but simple God's will.

We have to first admit that our understanding of virtually everything is somehow warped and twisted and affected by our own sinful nature. To that end we must rely on scripture.

In Psalms 50:21 ..."thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself: "
Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD."
Isaiah 55:9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

God has ways and thoughts that are to us incomprehensible, unresolvable, and inscrutable.

Paul points out in Romans 11:33-36 "¶ O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and the knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past tracing out!
Ro*11:34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?
Ro*11:35 or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?
Ro*11:36 For of him, and through him, and unto him, are all things. To him be the glory for ever. Amen." (all bold emphasis are mine)

How could you think of God as 'unjust' for choosing to save some, because in reality there are none who deserve to be saved?

The doctrine of election is not new to the New Testament, the Old Testament has many examples of God's will to chose. Out of all the people in the world God chose Israel. Out of all the people in the world God chose Abraham and made him the father of a great nation.

Psalms 105: 43 "And he brought forth his people with joy, and his chosen with singing."
Psalms 135:4 "For the LORD hath chosen Jacob unto himself, and Israel for his peculiar treasure."
Deut. 7:6 "For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all peoples that are upon the face of the earth."
Deut. 14:2 "For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all peoples that are upon the face of the earth."

The same is shown in the New Testament.

Romans 8: "Who shall lay anything to the charge of God’s elect? It is God that justifieth;"
Col. 3:12 "¶ Put on therefore, as God’s elect, holy and beloved, a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering;"
John 15:16 "Ye did not choose me, but I chose you, and appointed you, that ye should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should abide: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you." Jesus said to his deciples. Then prays,
John 17:9 "I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for those whom thou hast given me; for they are thine:"
Acts 13:48 "And as the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of God: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed."
Romans 9:11 "for the children being not yet born, neither having done anything good or bad, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth," almost like Jacob I love, Esau I hated.

There are hundreds more, but am I theologically qualified to argue the point? These are scriptures I read and they are very clear to understand.

By the Grace of God was I chosen before eternity past to have my name written in the book of life. That makes me tremble in awe, and fills me with love to worship Jesus and His Father and even more personally the Holy Spirit in me.

That is not doctrine, that is fact backed by scripture.

Praise His name. Amen.