Thread: Bible College
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
We have to be careful (extremely careful) that we don't get carried away with Dispensationalism (or any other "pet doctrine" - Prophecy, Tongues, Healing, Hair Covering, Hair Length, Deeper Life, Unity, Love, Evangelicalism, etc., etc., and yes, even King James Onlyism) to the point where we don't maintain the "balance" {Faith, Love, and Truth} that God would have us maintain in our lives.

In order to maintain that "balance" we have to keep our eye on the Lord Jesus Christ at all times and look to His Holy word (and not men) for the answers to all the issues of life.
I just don't know what more to say other than I truly thank God for men like you George, who have the COURAGE to say what you just said. As a former casualty of an Independent, Fundamental Baptist church (and others as a matter of fact) that picked up one or more pet doctrine your statement is encouraging. "Chapter and verse, please" is my question when I'm told what I can and can't do and what I should and shouldn't do. Too many times I get the opinion...

Quote:
Always remember: God wants OBEDIENCE from His people not SACRIFICE! He wants FRUIT in our lives, for if we have FRUIT - the WORKS will follow.
Again, 100% in agreement to this statement. Why must we pollute such a simple gift of grace and love from our Savior when He told Nicodemus "...that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16). Why do we constantly feel the need to add our works to this when we have only been asked to believe and obey (not that obedience is easy - it is not). I believe and have to continually trust that "...he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day..." (Php 1:6).

Thank you again for the words of encouragement George.

Harley