View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 AM

Default Should Christians Confess Their Sins?

I John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
I have recently dealt with a backslidden member of my church that, among other things, is questioning the validity of I John 1:9 for us today. (I say backslidden, for he has dropped 3 ministries that he was actively involved in for a paintball team, and so on.)

This teaching generally is propogated by "hyper-grace" or "hyper-disp." that believe I John does not doctrinally apply to the church in any way. Since God has forgiven the believer of all trespasses (Col. 2:13), they teach that Christians have no sins to confess. If a Christian does sin, it's already forgiven and "under the blood" - out of God's view. They also love to quote Rev. 1:5, Unto him that loved us, and washed from our sins in his own blood.

The man I'm referring to reads the verse as if it's talking about the day that he got saved. He confessed his sins (as in an admission of his condition) and was forgiven of them when he received Christ.

So, in his living room, he asked me to prove to him from scripture that Christians need to confess their sins.

Anyone want to take a stab at?