Thread: New Member here
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biblereader View Post
It is so good to hear people say the NIV is wrong, and bad, and to FINALLY hear people say CS Lewis is bad. What do you think about the Chronicles of Narnia? That's a mess! Unbelievable how many people think that's Christian.
And, what REALLY amazes me, is, how many so called Christians have NO problem with the damnable Harry Potter books and movies!
Where is the discernment? Where is the rebuking, and reproof?
Sister, I understand what you are saying but the difference in some of the books you name here is that if a person claims a given work is "Christian" and it's not, it needs to be dealt with. Potter, Tolkien, and other works must be recognized as just the works of men. What I see as damaging is this "separatist" doctrine many Christians have in that they first draw off so far from the world that they appear and act as if they are aliens from a UFO. The only time they venture out is to complain about some book or movie the world has made. When I was a child I remember preachers going on and on and on and on about how "evil" The Flinstones, Warner Bro. Cartoons, and Quick Draw McGraw was. As I've tried to advise Luke and Chris, we need to find a center in ourselves and recognize we are flesh and a Spirit, that do not have any mutual interaction with each other. We need to venture out of our monasteries and carry out our commission for today, the real "great" commission in that we are ministers of the reconciliation to wit, God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself and be ambassadors for Christ, beginning with our next door neighbor.

We need to not worry about what the world is doing now but tell humanity what Jesus Christ has already done.

The height of the street ministry I was involved in was in 1987-89. One night we had a group of Pentecostals come out, gather in a circle, whoop and blab gibberish, then they went to their cars and left. I stopped one woman what she was doing. She said they just "named and claimed" the Street "for Jesus". I said, then what are we doing here still? Blank stare. I asked her to stand still for 60 seconds. When she did, I pointed to 7 bars and 3 adult books stores and asked her, if it's named and claimed, why are they still open and people still going in and out? Blank stare. She left without a word.

No one wants to go where Christ is not named and preach the gospel of His grace. But they will complain about Madonna.

Another night I walked up the street to a place called NEON MOVIES. They were playing The Last Temptation Of Christ. The Complainers were outside with their signs and guitars and I didn't see a Bible or tract among them. I stood in the gutter till they finished singing with this huge KJV in my hand. One guy asked me if I wanted to join in the protest and come put my Bible over on the table with the guitar cases. I merely said that when they are done with this foolishness, come justify the Blood shed for them and come up the street and do some real work.

One young man followed me back. The rest stood, blank stares.

I am not a nice person.

His name was Mark, he was a United Methodist, and he saw us witnessing and he got his noodle cooked that night. He went nuts. I thought he was gonna climb on a trashcan and start preaching. I never saw a child on a sugar-high get that manic. I rarely saw a Christian witness for Jesus Christ that fevently either. He parked himself in front of a bar and tracted everyone going in. I walked across the street and looked inside, the floor was carpeted with our tracts. He and I went in, picked them all up, and gave them out again. His words will not return unto Him void.

That was the night they called the cops on us(again). I told the cop to hit the road, First Ammendment, go catch a crook.

I am not a nice person.

Sister, I understand your feelings. Don't be concerned about what JK Rowling(Potter) writes. be concerned with what God has already wrote.
We're not theater and book critics, we're ambassadors for Christ.

The deadliest weapon in the world is not a Marine and his rifle, the deadliest weapon in the world is a Christian with a Bible.

Grace and peace sister

Tony