View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Aha Exactly Brother

I understand MJS is not KJBO, and often uses some strange translation of the Bible (WEY), in which case I just open up the KJB to see if he is correct in his exegesis.

The phrase "die to self" is not a biblical phrase I admit. Honestly, I only used it because it is what someone called this truth many years ago, when I should have actually listened, and accepted the fact I was dead to sin, and it would have saved me several years of heartache.
I read the "Green Letters" series back in the 80's and Stanford (now the late Miles Stanford) lays out some good principles for spiritual growth. If you visit his site you will see he is also a dispensationalist and there are some good articles there. What you have to watch out for are statements like this:
Our authoritative Bible is the only means in the universe by which we can ever know anything rightly and personally of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. - The Complete Green Letters, pg 187
Sounds good.
Sad to say, the problem of faulty reckoning in this instance, due to a wrong interpretation, is mainly caused by an inferior translation in our beloved King James Version. - The Complete Green Letters, pg 203

The King James Version's use of "destroyed" in verse 6 is far too strong for that particular Greek word.

Our King James Version has a tendency to lead one astray in the area of reckoning because of its failure to set forth our death with Christ in the past tense.

The new American Standard Bible, which is more accurate for study purposes, gives us the contrasting correction.
- The Complete Green Letters, pg 204

This is another instance where the King James Version might lead us into bondage, unless we study with care. (referencing Romans 8:1)
- The Complete Green Letters, pg 211

In Romans 8:6 we must again take a close look at our King James Version: "For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace." This particular translation runs counter to the actual teaching of the Word.

Once more the New American Standard Bible states the truth accurately....
- The Complete Green Letters, pg 213
So you have to exercise caution.