View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:46 AM

I'll throw my two cents in also.

I would suggest that you quietly leave with a few variations. First, a story:

One of my daughters was very deeply involved in a church ministry. She participated in many programs in the church and was integral to the children's ministry there. The church began the slide toward the "emerging church" style [I call it submerging church]. She spoke with the pastor privately about it. He brushed her off as if there was nothing to it. As the church, under the influence of the pastor's wife, slid faster and deeper, other people also began to go to the pastor. Soon there was a group of faithful people meeting to seek a solution. When it was obvious that the pastor was on a one-way street, the group quietly left the church without open explanation. They privately spoke with close friends who chose to stay, so that the leaving would not be a mystery. Within in a week or so, the pastor openly berated those who had left as troublemakers. His attack only made some of the close friends to leave as well when they saw his attitude with clear eyes.

As a pastor myself, meeting with the pastor before leaving is appropriate. In reality, that pastor should have already noticed a problem and asked to meet with you, but we can already see that he has lost discernment. Meeting with him is not to attempt to change his mind (too far gone), but to clarify your position. Secondly, any members of the church who are close to you should hear from your own mouth, so that the truth will not be distorted. Do not under any circumstance try to talk anyone else into leaving or into stirring up a rebellion against the pastor. Those actions never bring a good end. Most of all, continue praying for that church and for those who will be negatively influenced by its backslide.