View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post
Renee, I have to say I don't think you are being honest with yourself about why you posted that supposedly helpful advice to me on this thread. It's good Biblical advice, of course, but somehow in this context it's hard to believe it was meant in a good spirit. It's completely off topic, it's highly personal, which is usually considered out of bounds in a general discussion forum, and it implies that I'm doing something wrong but without stating it directly.
Take it how you will. All she was doing is reminding you what the aged women should be focusing on: Teaching the younger women. Teaching the next generation to be good wives and mothers.

Matters of the heart and of actions... not customs.

Now that you've posted your prayer request I can see why you would personally take offense at those particular verses. Which were meant as a reminder to teach women and stop trying to persuade the men. Not a personal attack.

Quote:
It seems to me that my only real offense is that I disagree with you and others about the woman's head covering, but you don't want to debate it

Why would she continue to debate? Why do you want her to debate? The men have already answered you. As have we. Hence the reminder of what the older women should be doing instead of trying to convince the men of their customs and beliefs.

Quote:
as you've already said that nothing I could possibly say on this subject is going to change your mind,
So you ARE trying to change our minds...

Quote:
so shouldn’t you just ignore the thread?
Shouldn't YOU? You started the thread asking for people's "Thoughts". Which were given.

In post #15 "but if nobody else is interested or willing to consider my point of view it's best to drop it." and the subject was dropped.

Luke posted his "thoughts" which you replied to and got the whole ball rolling again. At which point about post #35 you got upset and called him a "rude young man" and a "superficial fool." (Which I do believe was the first actual blatantly personal attack in this this thread)

Post #46 Shows your reason for starting this and coming back to it again and again:
Quote:
But it keeps nagging at me that if we're supposed to be covering our heads and the majority of churches are no longer doing that, it's not an issue to just let drop or confine to a small group who share the same conviction. So at a forum I'm likely to bring it up again as I did here.
Quote:
"When there is as much opposition to it as there is here, however, I am content to let it drop, "
Really? I've yet to see that beyond what you implied in post #15

Quote:
but when people respond with a kneejerk pat answer my Irish temper comes up.
You do realize you're going to have to keep responding as long as you're here as more and more people will sign up and post their "kneejerk" pat answers as they go through the forum.

The funny thing here of all the husbands of wives, wives of husbands, mothers and daughters, you with no husband are the only one that is holding to this. You are the one that keeps coming back to convince us we're wrong.

Since there are very few women in the whole forum and 2 or 3 of us already made it clear that we will follow our husbands and THEY have made it clear where they stand. Why do you persist? It is not our custom, yet you keep trying to convince us of the rightness of it. We quite frankly don't care if you cover up or not that is up to you. Or if you cover a tiny crown patch or every last strand.

You cling to your commentators and histories and men that you place above you in the place of a husband or father in instructing you... yet who chooses that? You do. You were in a church that didn't do head coverings. You started wearing a covering (outside of that church's custom and the men you placed above you) and tried to convince them of it. You left that church. (For other reasons)

I can see how someone would be confused when your commentators can't make up their mind what it means. BTW my husband did not misread them he was referring to:

Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible
1Co 11:15
Verse 15. It is a glory to her. It is an ornament and adorning. The same instinctive promptings of nature which make it proper for a man to wear short hair, make it proper that the woman should suffer hers to grow long.
For a covering. Margin, Veil. It is given to her as a sort of natural veil, and to indicate the propriety of her wearing a veil. It answered the purposes of a veil when it was suffered to grow long, and to spread over the shoulders and over parts of the face, before the arts of dress were invented or needed.

Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible
But if a woman have long hair - The Author of their being has given a larger proportion of hair to the head of women than to that of men; and to them it is an especial ornament, and may in various cases serve as a veil.

John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

But if a woman have long hair,… And wears it, without cutting it, as men do:

it is a glory to her; it is comely and beautiful; it is agreeable to her sex, she looks like herself; it becomes and adorns her:

for her hair is given her for a covering; not instead of a covering for her head, or any other part of her body, so that she needs no other: we read indeed of the daughter of Nicodemus ben Gorion, that she was obliged to make use of her hair for a covering in such a sense

I'm off to enjoy dinner with my husband and son.