View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 03:14 PM

PaulB,

It is a pleasure to discourse with you as well, brother. I do believe I have enjoyed reading every post you have ever posted.

I am in no way endorsing polygamy. You are absolutely right in saying that from the beginning God meant for one man and one woman to marry. I don't think I even need to comment on the question of whether a man can marry a man or a woman a woman. The practice of homosexuality is an abomination to God. Jesus gave the final word on marriage. His words are the final authority on any topic.

Yet, we are informed that God allowed, even worked through marriage with multiple wives. He allowed for it although it was not how he created marriage in the beginning. He also allowed for putting away His first wife Israel for a time, and taking a second wife, the Church.

Consider these verses.

Quote:
1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
Quote:
1 Timothy 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
I would ask why Paul found it necessary to stipulate that bishops, deacons, etc. be husbands of one wife if there were no members of the church who had more than one wife? If only one wife was allowed in those times among the gentiles, why did Paul bother to mention it? The leaders of the local churches were to perfectly represent Christ and His church in that way. We should keep in mind, as well, that they were not to be single, either. They were to be married to one wife.

I believe I am right in my answer about your example of the Muslim man but I am certainly not dogmatic about it. I just don't see what other answer there could be. I will ask my husband what he thinks. Your example of the muslim man with seven wives is a very good one. I appreciate the opportunity to "dig deep and weigh all of the evidence given", as you said.

May God bless you as well, PaulB