Thread: Bad tracts
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
I agree that repentance includes turning from whatever it is you're trusting in besides Christ, it does not however require a hatred for sin. The Bible doesn't say anywhere that we must hate, or even dislike our sin. It says we must see ourselves as sinners, lost and on our way to Hell, accept Chtist as the only way to Heaven, and put our trust in Him. Some people will hate sin before salvation, all who are saved will be given this hatred by the Holy Spirit I believe, buts it's not a requirement to get saved.
Hating sin is something that is likely to happen when one is saved. It's not a requirment of salvation by any means. Also, those that hate sin before salvation likely hate the consequences of sin, not the sin itself. But when one is born again, we hate sin because we LOVE JESUS! A born again Christian will realize that Christ Jesus CHOSE to shed His blood for our sins, and the thought of our righteous God nailed to a cross can be so difficult to think about at times, that the natural response seems to be to hate the sin that warranted such a soul saving sacrifice.

Back to chick tracts. In "This Was Your Life" it has the man being told after asking what he must do to be saved: "REPENT! - Surrender your life to Christ, ..." and then he prays "Lord, I know I'm a sinner - I repent of my sins and I acknowledge Jesus Christ as my Lord and personal savior!" Then in "A Love Story" it says "Who wants you to tell Him how very sorry you are for your sins... And that you'll turn away from them?" I want to make it clear that I'm not against repentance (to turn, change ones mind). I'm also not against striving to live a life meet for repentance as Paul preached:

Acts 26:20 (KJV) But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

What I'm against is adding anything to God's SIMPLE plan for salvation. We must make it ever so clear that BELIEF in the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, God's only begotten Son, is the only thing that will save. When a sinner believes on the Lord Jesus Christ THEN we instruct them on how to live a life well pleasing to God.

So anywho, I think I'll keep using chick tracts, since they aren't blatant LS. Also it is encouraging to know that brother Luke was lead to the Lord with them. I just want the brethren to be on guard against the little leaven (love you George!) that has crept into Churches lately, and in their delivery of the gospel.

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen