View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:55 PM

I'm really finding this one tough to swallow, folks. You take great pains here to point out how important the words are. Indeed, almost to the exclusion of the meaning that the words, put together, are intended to convey. Thus, this whole idea of 're-inspiration' is boggling.

If the Lord and NT authors revered each and every word, and the scriptures...as YOU assert that WE should..then why would there be such 'imperfect' quotation of those words? Sure, I can buy SOME variation. Plus, Christ expounded on nine of ten commandents with depth and breadth of new meaning that was beyond the "letter of the Law", and the substance of the words. Okay, I know, Christ is God and has the privilege to change and "re-inspire", even when He READS from SCRIPTURE.

What then, of this example from Luke 10?

25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted Him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
36 He said to him, What is written in the law? how read you?
27 And he answering said, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighor as yourself.
28 And He said to him, You have answered right: this do, and you shall live.

Now, part of what the lawyer quoted was Deuteronomy 6:5. Clearly, it refers to loving God with all your "might", not 'MIND'. Yet, Jesus did not correct the man. Certainly, mind and might have different meanings. Yet, the Lord neither corrected nor reproved this man {perhaps a scribe} from mis-quoting scripture.