Thread: Love & Race
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custer View Post
What is going on? I was SOOOO trying to SUPPORT you! And the above quote (from your second post) says that you are still "not saying scripture doesn't teach that it shouldn't be done..." (How does that constitute changing your opinion?) The fact that you don't believe my scripture references back it up is not related to that statement!

I apologize profusely for making you feel that I misrepresented what you said; I sincerely hope that it is obvious from this post that that was not my intent! And if I've misunderstood and commented out-of-line on this post, I apologize in advance!

I cannot for the life of me understand, though, why everyone that has posted on here believes that all the clear scripture passages that teach that saved people should separate from lost people can apply to friend relationships, work/business relationships, etc. but cannot apply to the most intimate human relationship of all - marriage! CAN ANYONE PLEASE ADDRESS THAT???

Pam
www.custerfamilyfarm.com
Quote:
I apologize profusely for making you feel that I misrepresented what you said; I sincerely hope that it is obvious from this post that that was not my intent!
Pam,

You didn't make me "feel" that you misrepresented me. You misrepresented me. However, I accept your apology.

Quote:
What is going on? I was SOOOO trying to SUPPORT you!
This isn't about forming factions to strengthen our positions, it's about rightly dividing the scriptures.

Quote:
And the above quote (from your second post) says that you are still "not saying scripture doesn't teach that it shouldn't be done..." (How does that constitute changing your opinion?) The fact that you don't believe my scripture references back it up is not related to that statement!
Pam, I haven't come to any conclusions! Here's the complete sentence that you quoted just a part of. If you will read it and consider it's meaning then I think you will understand.

"I'm not saying that I think its a good idea for believers to marry unbelievers and I'm not saying scripture doesn't teach that it shouldn't be done, I just don't see any of the verses that you've referenced that say so." Let me state it another way, "I'm not saying scripture does teach that it shouldn't be done. I honestly don't know what scripture teaches. I was hoping to find out but you wresting the scriptures out of context is not going to lead to any answers to what they teach.

The changing of my mind was that of rejecting my previous application of an instruction from Paul to believing widows as a possible command to all believers. That is a stretch that I don't think is warranted.

Quote:
The fact that you don't believe my scripture references back it up is not related to that statement!
We are in agreement on nothing. The closest we come is 1 Cor 7:39. You make it apply to all believers, I don't necessarily believe that. You make it necessary for a person to carefully map out the entire exchange which is time-consuming and tedious and wouldn't be necessary if you didn't bend and twist things.

Quote:
I cannot for the life of me understand, though, why everyone that has posted on here believes that all the clear scripture passages that teach that saved people should separate from lost people can apply to friend relationships, work/business relationships, etc. but cannot apply to the most intimate human relationship of all - marriage! CAN ANYONE PLEASE ADDRESS THAT???
There you go generalizing and twisting scripture again. Each passage that you have cited about separation has a different context, not some general application that you can use wherever you like.
Why should we address some speculation on your part? We could all speculate on anything we liked and all talk about it but how is that edifying? We're here to learn what God says, not what each of us says. So, find us a scripture that commands believers not to marry unbelievers and we'll discuss it.

Jennifer

Last edited by greenbear; 06-10-2009 at 09:04 PM.