View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 10:06 PM

Default Seek and ye shall find!

illusionznc:---- { oops; you posted a reply while I was composing mine..}

PeterAV gave you a couple of good answers above. If you have a question about the AV-1611 and the Apocrypha, then click over to the Section titled "Doctrine"---> Thread titled-----> "The Apocrypha". Scroll down to post #6 by Traditional Anglican and read what he posted. It's a good response. There is interesting historical information found in 1&2 Maccabees---which takes place during the "400 Silent Years".

I have a Oxford AV in paperback by Oxford Pubs. [ISBN # 0192835254] It has the Apocrypha in it, and that is why I ordered it... just to able to consult it when a Roman Catholic poster on another website likes to challenge me about Scripture/History/Tradition/Theology. It was never part of the Hebrew Canon (Measuring Stick). It was not viewed by the Anglicans as Canonical, but historical. Much of this information can easily be read by you on this information super-highway called "The internet"--- Try Wikipedia.

If you truly don't know--- almost all of us on this website read from a 1769 A.V. rather than the 1611. There were spelling updates, and typeset things ( like ss and ff ) and the 1769 does not hold the Apocrypha. Therefore--- Break open the tried and true AV/KJV 1769 and start reading at Genesis 1:1 .

BTW--- Your statement that because the AV-1611 contained the Apocrypha and it mentioned giving alms...and since alms are an "R.C". idea--- that would keep you from a Bible translation...

...would be akin to you refusing medical care at the Hospital Emergency Room if you are bleeding/choking... because your Grandma/Grandpa died at that Hospital 10 years ago... due to cancer/TB/diabetes.

P.S. Just read your new post above after posting my first Draft/Post--- I thought you were a spy/trouble maker from an NIV/Modernist mindset. There have been a couple here in the last 2 weeks.

I would suggest that if there is a Thrift Store/Used Book Store/Book store with used books, or a "Friends of the Library" sale that you browse and pick up one and see how the font and size works for you... There is a nice Oxford leather one which (I think) was called the Long Primer reference edition? (maybe) It was puurrfect in the hands and the printing was readable. Shop around.

Last edited by PB1789; 12-14-2008 at 10:26 PM.