View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 05:56 PM

More Keys on Living the Christian Life

Learning from the vineyard. Remember the function of a branch? The branch does nothing except abide in the vine and yield fruit.
“I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing” (John 15:5).
When the Lord spoke to my heart and opened my eyes of understanding regarding the relationship the branch has with the vine, I took a big sigh of relief. The heavy weight of trying to live the Christian life was lifted and sweet abiding rest took its place. I realized for the first time in my Christian life that it’s not my responsibility to produce fruit. “Christ in you, the hope of glory.”

The Bible does not teach we “will” do nothing, it teaches we “can” do nothing. There is an important difference between these two little words. Don’t miss this.

When we observe a branch during its season of growth we do not see inactivity. The branch is not barren. There’s fruit. There seems to be a lot going on in that little branches life, doesn’t there? But after some thought, we fully understand that apart from abiding in the vine the branch can do nothing. By abiding in the vine, however, the branch is alive, active, and productive. We know where the branch gets its life. And we know if the branch is not connected to the vine there’s simply no life.

Similarly, genuine Christian fruit only comes from the True Vine. The Christian life is Christ living His life in me.
“…He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father” (John 14:12).
Jesus Christ will do many works through each of our lives; we simply need to deny the self life and by faith allow Him to live His life through us. There is no need for us to plan our work and work our plan when it comes to living the daily Christian life. Jesus will orchestrate and direct our paths. He will plan our steps and give both the desire and the will to do His good pleasure. It’s His plan and His work—not ours.

This does not mean we will constantly walk in faith and obedience to His perfect will but we can be absolutely assured that Jesus is always faithful to guide us. As a shepherd leads his sheep, so the Good Shepherd guides us (John 10). He leads us in the paths of righteousness (Psalm 23:3). The Lord Jesus Christ is best at directing our life.

I know who He is speaking to in Matthew 11, but there is certainly an admonition for us? Jesus calls,
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28–30).
This freeing invitation is given to each and every believer. Perhaps, like me, you have tried everything else: all of the programs, all of the plans, and all the methods and the procedures. Now, Jesus invites us to simply do this one thing; come to Him. Furthermore, notice that the Lord Jesus does not say we should take no yoke, but rather, He invites us to take His yoke. “Take my yoke upon you.” The yoke was placed around the neck and shoulders of an ox so it could pull a plow or a wagon loaded with freight or cargo. In our case, the yoke symbolizes Christian responsibility. We should not shun our responsibilities as Christians because there are certainly things to do. But observe that the yoke of responsibility is Christ Himself. "My yoke." Do the things He leads you to do. His yoke is “easy” and His burden is “light” because He carries the load or weight of living the genuine Christian life. What He calls us to do; He certainly equips us to do. Jesus empowers us to live the Christian life. Finally, Jesus invites us to specifically learn of Him. We have learned various methods and techniques on how to best live the Christian life. We have expanded our Biblical knowledge. But now, with loving and gentle finality, the Great Teacher invites us to simply learn of Him.

Have you entered into His rest? Or do you strive and labor to accomplish the work of the Lord?
“For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief” (Hebrews 4:10–11).
We are invited to come to Jesus by faith, take His yoke, learn of Him, and find rest in the midst of necessary labor. Believer, Christ is not only the beginning of our salvation (saved from Hell), and He is not just the end of our salvation (saved to Heaven), but He is the totality of salvation. He is everything in between our spiritual birth and physical death.

Often we become so consumed with both secular and spiritual activities that we end up slowly drifting from the person of the Christian life. I am certainly not suggesting we live a life of idleness and inactivity. But when Jesus Christ directs us into a particular ministry path, He should remain our passion and focus. Even in the course of normal daily life, Jesus Christ should dwell in our minds and consume our thoughts.

This is a key doctrine for living the Christian life. Let Christ live His life through you, dear CHRISTian.