View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 10:34 AM

Location: Colorado, a beautiful state with four distinct seasons; sometimes in the same day!
Default Luke 17:3 If thy brother trespass against thee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kinney
In Luke 17:3 ..These two little words "against thee" affect the entire application of the verse. Versions like the Holman, NASB, NIV, RSV all omit these two words and say: "If your brother sins, rebuke him. And if he repents, forgive him."

Quote:
I'm not sure this is a good example for you to be pointing out. The AV's rendering reads that as long as your brother{i.e., a believer} does not sin against ME, then I'm not enjoined to rebuke him, nor encourage him to repent. In the MV example, the rendering clearly indicates what my Christian duty truly is. Sin is sin, whether directed against me, or not.
Hi pneuby. The central issue regarding the existence or not of a complete, inspired and 100% true Holy Bible is not whether you or I happen to 'prefer' a certain textual reading, or if it 'makes sense' to you or me, but rather Did God inspire it or not?

As I pointed out earlier - The words "if thy brother trespass AGAINST THEE" are found in the majority of all Greek texts, as well as D, plus at least 24 uncials and the Old Latin copies c, d, e, q and r.

The reading of "If thy brother trespass AGAINST THEE" is found in Wycliffe 1395, Tyndale 1525, Coverdale 1535, Bishops', Geneva Bible, Webster's, Youngs, Darby, the Spanish Reina Valera, Italian Diodati, NKJV, Green's MKJV, World English Bible, Hebrew Names Version, and the Third Millenium Bible.

But Sinaiticus and Vaticanus omit these two words and so do the NASB, NIV, RSV and Holman Standard. But wait! Now the brand new TNIV has come out and they put these words back in their latest version.

The modern versions are primarily based on two very corrupt manuscripts which differ from each other over 4000 times in the N.T. alone, and not even the MV's have got their act together because now the new TNIV has put the words "sin against you" back in their latest version again. So, I guess the NIV is now obsolete according to the late$t finding$ of $cholar$hip.

If you follow the modern version mentality, you will never end up with an inspired and infallible Bible. Instead, you become a Bible Rummager and your own final authority.

Will K