View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotArt View Post
Thankyou Samuel. I am reading that site.
Thankyou CKG for the info.

Tonybones2112
Thanks for that Tony. Per Romans 10. That was one of the reasons for my enquiry. I see the word "hearing" used at that point as meaning more than just being within earshot - but also "being able to hear by grace and faith." Therefore considering the "elect" back then and effective evangelism, I would say that the Spirit guided them into all truth by the same method He employs today.
As we can observe in the secular world education can be a sinful vanity in man, for him to consider a lack of it precludes the conversion of sinners is a deceiving principle. We should be humbled by the Spirits work regardless of man's intellectual progress. Wisdom is the gift of God but churches today are in danger of presuming all too much in favour of man's developing in education, technology and science, as if he can achieve this of himself.
You are welcome and I agree with you. Man is ever learning and never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. Education in and of itself is not a bad thing, we would not have doctors without it, it is how mankind applies education is the problem. Roman Catholicism has always had the practice, keep the peasants dumb so we can be the fount of knowledge.

For a good understanding of history in the Dark Ages from the "secular" history point of view I'm going to recommend to you Joseph and Frances Gies and their series of "medieval" books. They give a very good look into life in England and France in around the 13th Century AD. They do touch on Romanism but only in pointing out it as being the dominant religion that tied itself into the governing of the locals. The books are fascinating and if you search AMAZON you can find used and unmarked copies for a dollar apiece if you shop around the different merchants. If you believe secular history, there was no Bible Christianity during the Dark Ages and this is false. Our steadfast stand on the KJV and it's precursors is rooted in our belief that the true Christian church has been here since day one, scattered and persecuted but here. I'm going to recommend Dr. Peter Ruckman's two volume CHURCH HISTORY. Dr. Ruckman can be a hard read, but these two books are scrupulously researched and footnoted

One day Jesus Christ and Peter were talking. The present Jewish-Gentile Body of Christ had not been revealed to anyone. Jesus promised and prophesied that "His church", the tiny, believing remnant of Restored Israel, the gates of hell would not prevail against. Israel fell, and through their fall we Gentiles were grafted into that remnant, rather than through the OT requirement that we Gentiles would rise through Israel's rise, and the promise remained, the gates of hell have not prevailed against us or His wordsand will not when God returns to His dealings with Israel.

Grace and peace to you Scot

Tony