View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 10:54 PM
HowlerMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
I'm glad to hear that - and I haven't seen you as any of those things. I do see you as genuinely seeking the truth and that is definitely welcome here at this Forum.

Jassy
Thank you Jassy, you and many other people here have been very kind and welcoming and I appreciate that very much. I think it shows what sort of people you are when you welcome a brother in Christ as you all have.

I do really seek the truth and I also trust the AV Bible, that is not what is at issue with me.

Here is where I come from: I was saved in 1976 at a little church in Port Charlotte, Florida. I was 6 years old at the time. The pastor there was a really great guy named Bill Ross, who sadly (from our point of view) went to be with the Lord a few years ago. Pastor Ross had a much larger role in shaping the kind of Christian that I would become than he could have ever dreamed (but of course bears no blame for any of my many failings). The lessons I learned at that church have stuck with me all my life and I am trying to pass those along to my own two boys (both of whom thank God have accepted Christ as their savior). I was just a kid when I went to that church, but I do remember that they were AVO, at that age I was not very aware of differences in manuscripts methods of translation and so forth. I just used the AV because that is what my parents insisted on, what my church used and what was used at the school I attended. I remember when a buddy of mine got a new NKJV Bible in the early 1980's, he and I sat down with his NKJV and my AV and compared about three verses (thinking we had exhausted the issue) and they were either the same or almost the same, so I assumed that all versions were pretty much the same for years to come. My logic was that they were all translated from the exact same Hebrew and Greek, so there must on be slight changes and updates in wording. In spite of my enlightened 12 year old wisdom, I continued to use my AV through my teen years and into adulthood. I don't remember how the issue came back up for me, but somehow as a young adult I became interested in translations and manuscripts (hey I'm a history buff), and I began to do some research on the issue. I soon realized that the exact same manuscripts were not used in all cases and that the manuscripts used by most modern translators had some very serious issues that lead to a lot of words and even verses being left out of the MVs. I read things by people like Dr. Henry Morris defending the AV and I even decided to learn enough Greek to be able to look into these issues for myself (I'm a far cry from a Greek expert or even serious student, but I feel like I can wade into the shallow end of the pool). Perfect or not, I now have conviction that the AV is far and away the very best English translation of the Bible avaliable and unless God does something unexpected I'll use the AV for the rest of my life.

One other little asside, my "second choice" translation, which I will look at when I don't get what the AV is saying is not a modern version, but the Geneva Bible. If I am still confused I'll check with the Textus Receptus if the verse in question is in the NT. As I have said above, I don't know a jot or tittle of Hebrew, so failing clarity from the Geneva I am at the mercy of commentators when it comes to the OT.

Anyway, I love digging into the Bible, there are new treasures there that can never be exhausted no matter how many years are spent searching.