Thread: 2 Peter 3:5
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 02:48 AM

Gen 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

To go even further we have the same phrase "were of old", and it carries the same meaning as 2 Peter 3:5. It deals with the time frame, not their state of being.

1Sa 27:8 And David and his men went up, and invaded the Geshurites, and the Gezrites, and the Amalekites: for those nations were of old the inhabitants of the land, as thou goest to Shur, even unto the land of Egypt.

These weren't former inhabitants of the land (well not until David slew then all, but I think you get the point.) Remember that Amalek was the first nation Israel ran into after leaving Egypt, so these definitely are nations that have been inhabitants for a long time.

Besides, I just found a verse that completely blows everything out of the water.

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

I don't think it's possible to get around this one. The first heaven and first earth? Anything that is first preceeds anything in a line of succesion. The only way I can see there being a gap is if the "old" heavens and "old" earth weren't destroyed, but luckily there weren't "old" heavens and an "old" earth, there was just a flood that happened on earth killed all flesh in an ancient time.