View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Connie

I would think at least any wisdom or knowledge or discernment "apart from" the Word of God would nevertheless have to be consistent with it, certainly not contradict it if it was truly from God.

The scariest question is whether one has been believing demons or not. I've had to face that the supposed gift of tongues I received was just that. It is a very disturbing thought. You can have good Biblical discernment on many things and yet remain in deception on others. The quote I posted from Charles Parham shows that even a major leader of the tongues movement could see that most of the results of it were demonically inspired, and yet not stop believing in his own experiences of tongues. This is also demonstrated by that blog I linked to where the woman well recognizes many errors in some areas of the movement but believes there are God-given tongues today and that her own visions are from God. I read a few of her visions and found them to be at best superfluous -- her Bible-based knowledge of the situation the vision supposedly addressed was sufficient to expose it and the vision added nothing, or it added distraction.

I personally needed to see the ungodly offenses committed at Azusa Street and hear Parham call it demonic to be set free from the last shred of belief that tongues are ever from God today. But I had other supernatural experiences since I became a Christian and I don't know whether to throw them all out or if some of them were really from the Lord. A major charismatic warning is against blaspheming the Holy Ghost by attributing something from God to the devil instead. It's a very distressing position to be in. There doesn't seem to be a clear Biblical standard for testing the spirits that can answer every such question that comes up.

Last edited by Connie; 03-25-2008 at 08:14 PM.