View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Vendetta Ride's comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
I don't wish to revisit old controversies, but I really must recommend In Awe of Thy Word by Gail Riplinger. The book is not simply a rehash of the basic questions, such as Sinaiaticus vs. Receptus, although she briefly touches on those matters; rather, it is a unique and utterly invaluable discussion of the development of the English Bible, from the Gothic to the Old English to the King James. She discusses the earlier English translations in great detail, and demonstrates that they were authentic and authoritative. She doesn't say they were "inspired," but then, the Bible itself wasn't "inspired:" it was "given by inspiration" (2 Tim. 3:16).

She also has a very valuable discussion of the "Jesus or Jehovah" question that's become so controversial.

I've been a Christian for many years, and if I were forced to reduce my library to five or ten books, this would be one of them.

Riplinger is a controversial figure, simply by virtue of her sex. That's a shame. Women are not forbidden to do research or write books, and she has rendered a great service to the Body of Christ in her work. She doesn't preach or teach or "usurp authority." The only reason I mention this is that I have heard good, solid Bible believers sneer and dismiss her because she's a woman.

Here's a link, if anyone's interested:

http://www.avpublications.com/avnew/home.html

Aloha brother,

I am in complete agreement with your comments. Gail Riplinger has brought a whole new "perspective" to the "Which Bible" debate that is both refreshing and informative.

A very good Christian friend of mine that now resides here on Kauai, knows sister Riplinger personally, and has been in her and her husband's home and has fellowshipped with her and her husband on several occasions.

His testimony is that Gail Riplinger is one of the nicest, sweetest, and humble persons you could meet (She's barely 5' tall); and that she is not seeking to preach or usurp authority over the brethren, but is trying to inform them of the truth.

Acts 18:24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.
25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.
26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila andPriscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

If Aquila and Priscilla could expound the way of God "more perfectly" to Apollos {An "eloquent" man of God "mighty in the Scriptures"} - why can't Gail Riplinger expound on the issue of "Which Bible" for the benefit of all Bible believers everywhere?

Since sister Riplinger is not seeking the office of a bishop {elder/pastor} or a deacon; and since she hasn't sought any position of authority OVER men in the body of Christ - I can see no reason to malign her or dismiss her (or her books), just because she is a woman. I hate to admit this - but In 68 years of life I have met women who are brighter than me and may actually know more than me on some issues! Sometimes the "brethren" get their britches in a bunch over nothing.