View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 03:27 PM

Bro George

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well, I hope you recover soon.

I read your study, and I think it is excellent, you are a very good teacher and since I have come to this forum I have utmost repect for you. But I do not completely agree with you (doesn't mean I am right).

Now, it's true that Peter addressed the Jews and the nation of Israel only. That is easy to see, and I already knew that long ago. But I do not believe Peter was teaching that if the Jews repented that Jesus would (or perhaps it is better to say could) return to restore the kingdom. I think this is shown in Acts 1.

Acts 1:6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. 8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

When the apostles asked Jesus directly if he would restore the kingdom to Israel at this time, Jesus neither answered them yes or no. Jesus told them it was not for them to know the times or seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

So, for Peter to go out after this and preach that the kingdom would be restored if Israel repented would be completely presumptuous. Think about it, if Jesus gave this answer to you, would you go out and promise that Jesus would return if they would only repent? I know I wouldn't.

And notice that Jesus also told them that they would be witnesses in Jerusalem, Judaea, Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

And this was part of Jesus's answer to the apostles concerning the question they had just asked him. So how could any of the apostles expect Jesus to restore the kindgom until they had witnessed to the uttermost part of the earth?

Do you see now why I do not see this gospel of the kingdom as being different from the gospel Paul preached?

And Jesus had earlier told the apostles that the Gentiles would be part of this kingdom.

Matt 21:43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

Matt 8:11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.

Either way you look at it, kingdom of God, or kingdom or heaven, Jesus had told of the Gentiles being part of it.

And I don't agree that the Jews had to be baptized to receive the Holy Ghost. Yes, Acts 2:38 can easily be read to say that. But what about those who received the Holy Ghost earlier in this very chapter?

Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

There is no mention of baptism here. Yet they were all filled with the Holy Ghost.

In chapter 3 Peter tells the Jews to repent that their sins may be blotted out.

Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

There is no mention of baptism in this chapter.

In vs. 26 Peter again mentions forgiveness of sins, not the restoration of the kingdom.

Acts 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

And I believe when Peter said "first" in Acts 3:26, he is showing that the gospel and salvation would also be offered to the Gentiles. I do agree that it was offered to the Jews first.

In chapter 5 Peter again speaks of forgiveness of sins, not the restoration of the kingdom.

Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. 31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins. 32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

No mention of baptism, but Peter says the Holy Ghost was given to those who obeyed God. What was the common command given in Acts 2:38 and Acts 3:19? REPENT.

I have been reading the book of Acts over and over this week. I am no scholar like you and many others here. But I do read carefully, and I do consider who is being spoken to, and even the history. But I simply see things different from you, no disrespect whatsoever. Perhaps I am wrong and I will continue to study this matter.