Thread: Folk dance
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post
I did check out a few nonChristian cultures -- African, American Indian, Polynesian, Arabian, Hindu -- and it seems many of the dances are shamanistic, with the intent of contacting demon spirits, or seductive, fertility type dances or something along those lines. Dances to the local gods at least. I didn't watch a lot so I may be misjudging, but my quick impression is that overall the movements are more sensuous, the skin is more bare (not always), and there's a lot of drumming.

Anyway, dance seems to be a very natural human expression, and I don't see any reason it can't be God-honoring. Unfortunately most of it isn't any more. Dancing with the Stars? The fewer clothes and the more suggestive movements the "better" it is it seems. Even ballet shows way too much body. I don't understand why either, since it's obviously not necessary to even the most strenuous acrobatic movements, as many of the folk dances show, where very loose clothing is worn.
I'm busy now, but I'd like to say thanks to your post, Connie! These are some reasons why I think some Christian schools do not promote such activity.